Learn to Lead: Promoting Excellence in Small Group Ministry
Event Date: April 18, 2015
Sabbath Hours – This event qualified for credit in Andover Newton Theological School’s Sabbath Hours continuing education recognition program.
Program Description – Churches know that small groups are key to spiritual formation and vitality in their congregations. Yet many are floundering for lack of small group leadership, especially when it comes to leading Bible studies. Working together, The BTS Center and The Massachusetts Bible Society wanted to help you change all that.
Exploring the Bible: The Dickinson Series is a proven Bible study system that even those who know little about the Bible can learn to lead. But this workshop – led by Rev. Anne Robertson, the Executive Director of the Massachusetts Bible Society – went beyond just introducing you to that material.
In this six-hour workshop, you were to:
- Learn the basics of leading any small group.
- Build confidence in leading a Bible study.
- Understand the difference between teaching and facilitating.
- Learn how to use Exploring the Bible: The Dickinson Series*
- Practice the skills you’ve learned.
- Receive tips on recruiting your first group, even if you are in a small, rural church.
- Learn how to structure your group for success.
- Network with others who are learning to lead.
- Discuss ways to overcome the challenges of difficult personalities and group conflict.
Leading a small group Bible study is easier than you think! The Massachusetts Bible Society’s Exploring the Bible materials are succeeding where prior attempts at Bible study have failed.
*All workshop participants received a free copy of both the student book and leader’s guide for What Is the Bible? (The first course of Exploring the Bible: The Dickinson Series)
Note: Completing this workshop qualified a participant to be a registered group leader for Exploring the Bible: The Dickinson Series.