Bearings publishes original feature articles, commentary, and creative insights by leading reflective practitioners of 21st century ministry in congregational, community, educational, environmental, and other settings. We do not re-publish material that has been previously published elsewhere, including on personal blogs.
Have an idea for a feature, commentary, or creative insight piece for Bearings? Send us a short summary of your idea via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to include the following with your pitch:
- Your full name
- Your title, if any
- Your institutional affiliation, if any
- Your email address
- A short bio with links to representative publications
Bearings is published from September through June each year, with four articles in each monthly issue:
- Features (2) on a theme defined by the editorial team
- Commentary (1) on current issues in the world that impact or are impacted by the practice of ministry
- Creative Insights (1) from poets, fiction and non-fiction writers, musicians, and visual artists
We typically invite contributors for each issue. However, we are open to pitches for the following issues:
- January 2019
- Feature theme: Ritual Reboot–What is the meaning and purpose of religious ritual in the 21st century? How can religious communities reboot ritual practice without losing the gifts of tradition?
- Copy due by December 7, 2018
- February 2019
- Feature theme: The Heart of Faith–What is the essential core of faith in the 21st century? Is there one?
- Copy due by January 7, 2019
- March 2019
- Feature theme: The Wonder of It All–How can 21st century ministry leaders and communities cultivate the sense of wonder that continues to engage and animate people, even as they leave religion behind?
- Copy due by February 8, 2019
- April 2019
- Feature theme: Religion Beyond Belief–In the season of the Christian calendar mostly tied to belief, how can 21st century ministries respond to the decline in religious belief?
- Copy due by March 8, 2019
- May 2019
- Feature theme: Science Faith–How can 21st ministry leaders engage science–from Darwin to West World–with credibility and faith?
- Copy due by April 8, 2019
- June 2019
- Feature theme: The Earth, Our Island Home–How can 21st century ministry leaders cultivate care for the planet in local, regional, and global terms?
- Copy due by May 6, 2019
Articles are typically between 1500-1800 words, with some flexibility at either end of that range. We are also open to video commentary and reflection, photo essays, and other creative expressions that can be contained on our digital space.
We try to respond to pitches within 1 week.